Ravne Castle

Ravne Castle

Img 00000505Ravne Castle was built on the Ravne plateau (‘an der Eben’) in the 16th century by the Hebenstreits and they named the castle after themselves (the Streiteben). From the mid 17th to the beginning of the 18th century it was possessed by the Sichtens, followed by the Gačniks (the Schlangenbergs) who kept it until 1809. Then its owners became the Counts Thurn, who after 1863 rebuilt it, gave it the current neo-baroque form and planted the castle park.

 

Img 00000508Janez Vajkard Valvasor depicted the castle in his book Topographia Archiducatus Carinthiae (1688), presumably still in its original form, as it was built by the Hebenstreits.

Source: Mrdavšic J.: Koroška osrednja knjižnica dr. Franc Sušnik, Ravne na Koroškem, 1989

Address

The Dr. Franc Sušnik
Central Carinthian Library
Na gradu 1
2390 Ravne na Koroškem
Slovenia
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Phone

02 870 54 20 - renting
02 870 54 21 - informations
02 870 54 24 - directress

Phone

02 870 54 22 - administration
02 870 54 30 - fax
02 620 48 72 - old books shop